There are two regional lines run by FGC :
- Line Barcelona - Vallés: goes through the Tibidabo mountain to Sant Cugat and to other towns in the area of El Valles, as Sabadell and Tarrasa. It departs from Pl. Catalunya. See line.
- Line Llobregat - Anoia: It has one route to Manresa and other to Igualada. It departs from Pl. Espanya. See line
Long and medium distance trains:
RENFE, the national railway network has connections to all the important towns in Spain and in Catalunya.
Connections with Tarragona and Gerona are very frequent, around one train per hour: some trains are direct and others stop at every town on the way. See regional trains in Catalunya.
The new high speed trains AVE connect some of the main cities in Spain, the AVE Madrid - Barcelona covers the 387 miles between these two cities in 2,38 hours. See AVE connections
There are trains that connect Barcelona with some important European cities:
There is a Catalan Talgo that connects Barcelona with Montpellier in the south of France.
There are 3 night trains with a hotel-like service including supper and breakfast. These are:
- Trenhotel Joan Miró.-Elipsos- (Barcelona -França to París -Austerlitz)
- Trenhotel Pau Casals.-Elipsos- (Barcelona -França to Zurich)
- Trenhotel Salvador Dalí - Elipsos- (Barcelona - França to Milán -Central)
It has tourist and preferent class. All these trains depart from the beautiful França station in Barcelona. In the Renfe webpages for international trains you can see prices, routes, timetables and a virtual tour in the train-hotel.